Searching Z8RC.com for the best match.........

Monday, February 14, 2011

OrangeRx - Spektrum DSM2 Compatible Receiver

Update - 11 Aug 2011:  My OrangeRx has been performing well in conjunction with my Dx6i.  Seems the problem was with sub-standard Spektrum transmitters.

Update: The model crashes I've experienced using this Rx were later proven to be due to a defective DX8 radio. There seem to be other issues, but I am uncertain if they are due to Horizon Hobby's predictably substandard quality or the OrangeRx. I am continuing testing now and will post an update if I can clear this Rx of all wrong doing. One thing is certain: the Spektrum DX8 is a gravely dangerous product--don't let your kids anywhere near one. Original post follows:
.....


Lost the link twice on first two flights, crashing the model both times.  Avoid.
On a side note, I think it is great that a company is making Spektrum/Horizon Hobby pay for their policy of not allowing price competition among resellers. Horizon's prices are simply ridiculous for the cheap China-made products they peddle at premium prices.  But they do have a near monopoly on a lot of desirable stuff, so for now they get to sell $5 worth of electronics for $50+.

Update: February 14, 2011:
I bought 3 OrangeRx receivers. My first experience is in the previous blog entry . Since there was less at stake, I decided to try a second one in my Techone Mini Christen Eagle, just in case the first sample was defective. I works fine and continues to work fine. It is a micro that stays within 200 feet or so.

So I put the 3rd sample in my Art-Tech Yak 54, pretty inexpensive, slow plane, so I thought it would be a good 3rd test. That was a mistake, the rx continually wants to reset and recenter the trim or the servos in all channels. This caused the model to fly well out of trim - trimmed back up - way out - trimmed back up - way out - and so on.

Perhaps the most interesting thing happened on the ground, afterward. A construction worker from a nearby site came over to chat while I was flying the Yak. After I landed, we talked about getting into rc. So I switched my DX8 over to my Champ to show him a great starter plane (I forgot the Yak still had a live battery). To my surprise, as the Champ bound to the DX8, I heard the Yak servos recenter too, then the Yak beeped in a double-bind along with the Champ. Needless to say, I quickly yanked the Yak's battery.

My recommendation is to stay very far away from this clone rx, especially if someone else is flying one.
There was an error in this gadget

Z8RC Open Discussion

Feedback | Suggestions | Questions

Please note, reader comments do not appear immediately after hitting submit.

I like to fly:

Top 10 This Week

Top 10 This Month